Do you start dragging when the clock hits 2:00 PM? Instead of an afternoon cup of coffee or a bag of Peanut M&Ms from the vending machine, grab a few of these little treats to keep you going until dinner. At 81 calories apiece, you can enjoy 3 of these fruity, nutty, chewy energy balls for the same calories as a candy bar, without the sugar crash an hour later. This clean and healthy snack is easy to throw together, doesn’t require any baking and you’ll have enough for an entire week. This recipe was adapted from one found on The Healthy Maven.
You will need a food processor for this recipe. Put almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. I used almonds in this recipe, but you can also use walnuts, cashews or a combination.
Roughly chop the dates and put into the food processor, along with the cherries, salt, almond extract and orange zest. Process for a couple of minutes until mixture is thoroughly combined.
Add orange juice and pulse another 30 seconds. Mixture will come together and form a ball.
I used a small cookie scoop, but a spoon is fine. Form dough into a small ball, place on a cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Enjoy!
Cherry Almond Energy Bites
2 cups (315 g) raw almonds
1 cup (142 g) dried tart cherries
1 cup (140 g) pitted dates (chopped)
1 teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
Zest of 1 small orange
1 Tablespoon orange juice
- Place almonds in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Chop dates into smaller pieces and add to food processor.
- Add cherries, almond extract, salt and orange zest.
- Process for a couple of minutes until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- If necessary, add 1 Tablespoon of orange juice to bring ingredients together.
- Using a small cookie scoop, form mixture into small balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Store in airtight container for up to two weeks.
Nutritional Info Per Serving
(calculated on MyFitness Pal)
Carbs: 9 g
Protein: 2 g
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 15 mg